Every company has a kind of company positioning, but only a few of do know it in detail resp. know in which way their customers aware that. At the market, the positioning is due to a company’s activities as well as to the individual sent communication. Usually the interpretation of the market decides and not the own point of view, because it is the market which makes the contact decision respectively the order or the considering of a business relation.
a) Complete new orientation
b) Extension of the position
c) Change of the positioning
• New orientation and corrections
• Development of new products
• Decrease in turnover and profit
• Establishing of new business fields
• Entry into new markets
• Disproportional growth
• Company fusion and company purchase
• The request for another awareness
• Long-term period without any positioning
• Various internal understandings and communication in relation to the company positioning
• In general some changes with the company
• Achieving of a special position within the competition
• Image building and image cultivation
• Approaching to the target group
• Activating of company potential
• Better and more understandable customer communication
• Better differentiation from the competition
• Enabling of a target-orientated acting
• Increasing of the competitiveness
• A number of best customers
• Realization of a more effective market penetration
• More business deals
• Simplification of the sales success
• Opportunities for more profit
• Useful and more specific directing of investments
• Reduction of advertising costs
The development of turnover as well as the customer structure of a specific business segment, product or service is supplying the first information about the actual existing company positioning. But also elements like the entire assortment, the company culture, company targets and practice, the owners, employees etc. plays an important role with the company positioning.
The company positioning is like the production of a patent key to the door “Customer”. For that the key “positioning” is – beside of all facets, details and edges – to understand as an all-in-one-package to work with in a really deep and exact way. Only this enables the competitive success and opens the door lock to the customer.
First of all the characteristics of a company are to see and to analyze. On the other hand are to work out the market facts in relation to the company and its assortment.
The company positioning is steadily in progress, we all are recognizing in our individual way and the market changes day-to-day. The established and lived modes of behaviors as well as the company performance suddenly don’t fit any more to the customer requirements or they are outdated. This kind of process is flowing and slinking. At most the people within a company don’t see it in because of their position inside of the system. Such a kind of changes can be seen and analyzed only from outside by the targeted and intensive investigation.
That’s why we speak here from the internal self-interpretation and there from the external assessment.
External assessment versus internal awareness
The practice shows that the results of these two points of view are different in fact. These could be imagined as the overlap of two circles. In the event of only small differences, there are just a few problems by acceptance, the overlap is relationally big. Additionally it’s possible to increase the accordance thru a targeted customer marketing. Nevertheless if the interpretations are quite different to each other, a company normally can’t conquer the critical hurdle of customer acceptance and won’t be a business partner for the next future. That case all efforts were ineffective.
With most of the companies the existing positioning is a random result of the actual business activities in combination with the company communication. Very often is to state that the existing positioning is no longer suitable for the market and too old. Concrete analyses, continuous optimizations and a strong vision or vision is missed.
Just with young companies such a kind of changes often comes after approx. 10 years. A typical attribute of positioning changes is the decrease of turnover and profit. On the other hand the development of new business segments, products or services could also change the customers’ awareness.
With older enterprises we often see that it has been a long time since the last positioning review or re-adjustment. That means also an actual demand for action.
1. Neutral analysis of the initial situation
b. business segments, Products, Services
2. Analysis of the competition
3. Analysis of the market
4. Work-out and recognizing of suitable positioning opportunities
5. Determining of a sustainable company positioning
6. Deducing of measurements and acting
7. Developing of targeted activities
8. Regular reviewing and adapting of the company positioning
Sensitive recognizing which kind of company positioning is really suitable.
For that a lot of experience is needed as well as a deep know-how with the company analysis. This is to see in combination to the estimation skills of the actual or prospective competition. A crucial role plays also the competitive advantages, the market itself and the potentials of a company. – At the end, the founded positioning has to be lived and to come true in reality.
Background & Experience Dipl.-Wirtsch. Ing. (FH) Rolf Popp:
• 20 years of experience in the strategic consulting
• Analyzing of several hundred enterprises
• Current dialogue to successful entrepreneurs and CEOs
• Specialist for competitive advantages
• Docent for corporate management
• Docent for marketing and distribution
In addition we realize:
• Neutral, open perspectives
• Sensitive recognizing and estimating of the initial situation
• Deep and intensive corporate know-how
• Experienced knowledge relating to the sustainability of companies
• Sustainable consulting and support.
• We readily make you a complete offer for the revision of your company positioning.
• You can order a workshop. Understanding and recognizing of the most important aspects, factors for success and opportunities.
• Knowledge transfer within a coaching.
• Of course we always give you concrete samples and models.
• We developed concrete methods and procedures for target-orientated and quick results.
• We gladly provide you a selection of references.
We support you individual, target-orientated and competent thru our expert knowledge and long-term personal experience with the company positioning. That’s your competitive advantage.